The COVID-19 vaccine "mega-event" taking place on the Missouri State University campus Thursday and Friday is available to walk-in participants. Previously, organizers had planned to require an appointment.
On Wednesday afternoon, David Hall, director of university safety at MSU, told KSMU organizers are trying to make the event as accessible as possible to everyone.
The vaccination event is free and open to Missouri residents ages 18 and older.
"Here's the thing: if it's on Thursday, it's only open to those who are in Phase 1 and 2. That's primarily health care, those over the age of 65, critical infrastructure and education [workers]. On Friday, it's open to any Missourian. So any Missourian could walk into our clinic, or event," Hall said.
You can find out which eligibility phase you fall under by clicking here.
The Missouri National Guard is assisting in the event. See our Q and A with the Missouri National Guard medical liaison here. The type of vaccine administered is the one-dose Johnson & Johnson vaccine.
The COVID-19 Vaccine Mega Event will take place at MSU's Hammons Student Center, which is at the intersection of Holland and Bear Blvd. Parking is free and handicapped parking is available.
• From National Ave.: Enter MSU campus on Bear Blvd. by the Davis-Harrington Welcome Center (also called E. Monroe St.)
• Hammons Student Center is on the right side (about half a mile from National Ave.)
• Turn left on Holland St. to access parking options
• MSU Lot 25
• MSU Lot 20
• Bear Park South
• Hammons Student Center (corner of Holland St. and Bear Blvd.)
• East side of building (between Hammons Student Center and JQH Arena)
The following organizations are partnering in the event:
• City Utilities
• Drury University
• Evangel University
• Greene County Office of Emergency Management
• Ozarks Technical Community College
• Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services
• Missouri Disaster Medical Assistance Team
• Missouri National Guard
• Missouri State University
• Springfield-Greene County Health Department
• Springfield Public Schools