Project to Improve Safety at 10 Highway 13 Intersections Begins
Work starts this week on a project to improve safety at 10 intersections on Highway 13 between Springfield and Clinton.
Contractor crews are scheduled to start the work at the Highway 13 intersection in Osceola.
Most of the intersections will get J-turns in one or both directions. According to the Missouri Department of Transportation, J-turns are a much safer alternative to traditional intersections on a four-lane, high-speed highway. Instead of motorists crossing fast-moving lanes of traffic to get to the opposing lanes, drivers at a J-turn intersection turn right, traveling in the same direction of traffic, merge into the left lane and then make a U-turn in the direction they intend to travel.
A recently-completed J-turn intersection is Route U and 13 south of Bolivar.
A University of Missouri study found that J-turn intersections can reduce injury and fatality crashes by up to 53 percent.
MODOT says drivers can expect lane closings during the work. Side roads will also be closed at times during the project. Drivers who travel through the intersections are urged to use extreme caution and slow down in the work zones.
The estimated cost to improve the intersections is $12.9 million, and work is expected to be finished by November 15.
Here is the list of intersections that will be worked on and what will be done:
- Old Highway 13 at Osceola: Lengthen acceleration lanes at existing J-turn
- Polk County Route 123 at Humansville: J-turns in both directions on Route 13
- Business 13/Calvird Drive at Clinton: J-turn in southbound lanes of Route 13
- St. Clair Coiunty Routes A/C at Lowry City: Right turn lanes on Route 13
- Polk County Route 215 West, south of Bolivar: J-turns in both directions on Route 13
- Polk County Route 215 East, 545th Rd. south of Bolivar: J-turn in northbound lanes of Route 13
- Polk County 565th Rd. south of Bolivar: southbound left turn lane on Route 13
- Greene County Routes BB/CC north of Springfield: J-turns in both directions on Route 13
- Greene County Route WW north of Springfield: J-turn in both directions on Route 13
- Greene County Route O north of Springfield: J-turn in both directions on Route 13 and remove existing traffic signal