The Missouri Department of Social Services will be able to use United States Department of Agriculture food to help those impacted by the coronavirus pandemic.
DSS was given approval by the federal agency to use USDA foods to operate Disaster Household Distribution. Missourians in need will be able to get a food package from mobile and drive-by locations through May 7.
The food will be distributed through six Missouri food banks, including Ozarks Food Harvest at more than 200 distribution sites.
More than 90,000 state residents are expected to benefit. Each food package contains fruits and vegetables, pasta/rice/starch, protein and dairy products.
Residents of southwest Missouri can find out more by calling Ozarks Food Harvest at (417) 865-3411.
Food pantries that will take part in help distribute the USDA food in Missouri are:
- Food Bank for Central and Northeast Missouri: (573) 474-1020
- Harvesters Community Food Network (816) 929-3000
- Southeast Missouri Food Bank: (573) 471-1818
- St. Louis Area Foodbank: (314) 292-6262
- Ozarks Food Harvest: (417) 865-3411
- Second Harvest Community Food Bank: (816) 364-3663
Learn more about food pantries in the state here.