Weekend Outlook August 5-7, 2011
- Stop by the Park Central Branch Library during First Friday Art Walk tonight (8/5) at 7 to hear music popular during the Civil War performed live by The Old Wire Road.
- There are lots of storytimes planned today (8/5) at various Springfield-Greene County Library Branches. For details, www.thelibrary.org.
- OzarksCounseling Center will host the 17th Annual Not-So-Newlywed Game, to benefit the Center, tonight (8/5) at the Oasis Convention Center. For ticket information, 869-9011.
- The Springfield Police Officers Association, Queen City Sertoma and the Federal Medical Center will host “Guns vs. Guards” to benefit the Child Advocacy Center. A “Tip-Off Party” will start at 5 tonight (8/5) at 319 Event Center. Then, the SPOA Guns Basketball team will take on the Federal Medical Center Guards tomorrow night (8/6) at 6 at Cherokee Middle School. A KidZone opens at 4 pm with face painting, the DARE car and more. Admission is $5, and kids younger than five get in free. To learn more, 863-1231.
- The International Country Gospel Music Association Conference and Concert will be at the West Plains Civic Center today and tomorrow (8/5 & 8/6). For more information, www.icgma.org or call 417-372-1129.
- The Albert Brumley Memorial Gospel Sing continues through tomorrow (8/6) at the Cowan Civic Center in Lebanon. For details, www.brumleymusic.com or 1-800-435-3725.
- Battleof the Bands is tomorrow (8/6) starting at 3 pm at the West Plains Civic Center Arena. Admission is $5 at the door, and proceeds benefit the 37th Judicial CASA.
- The Republic Historical Society and Republic Chamber of Commerce will host a parade and community picnic to kick off the 150th anniversary events at Wilson’s Creek. The Republic Historical Society Museum will be open tomorrow (8/6) from 9 am to 2 pm displaying Civil War artifacts and period clothing. The parade starts at 10 am in downtown Republic, and the community picnic will follow the parade at J.R. Martin Park. Civil War reenactors will fire muskets and present cannon firing demonstrations. For more information, www.facebook.com/honoringourveterans.
- The Howell County Sheriff’s Office will present drug dog demonstrations tomorrow (8/6) from noon to 2 at their offices. For more information, 256-2544.
- Springfield-Greene County Office of Emergency Management Director Ryan Nicholls will talk about tornado recovery tomorrow morning (8/6) from 9 to 11 at Schweitzer United Methodist Church, 2747 E. Sunshine. No registration is required. To learn more, 869-6040.
- Learn about dragonflies during the Discover Nature Families program “Dragons of the Insect World” tomorrow afternoon (8/6) at 2 at the Springfield Conservation Nature Center. To register, 888-4237.
- The Christian County Historical Society will hold an observance ceremony for the 150th anniversary of the skirmish at Dug Springs near Clever. The event starts at 2 pm Sunday (8/7) at the Clever Middle School parking lot. There will be reenactors dressed in period clothing and artillery firing demonstrations.