Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00 0:00
Available On Air Stations

Springfield Fire Department Stresses Need For Working Smoke Alarms


Springfield fire officials are stressing the importance of smoke alarms after a working smoke alarm saved a man and his daughter on Sunday.  

The fire occurred in a house near Belview and Rockhurst, according to the Springfield fire department.  A smoke alarm woke up the man who then noticed a fire along a wall of his bedroom.  He and his daughter were able to evacuate safely, and he was treated for minor smoke inhalation.  The cause of the fire was determined to be misuse of an extension cord.  In a news release, the fire department said only high-quality, listed extension cords should be used in the home, and they should not be covered with anything.

According to fire officials, properly installed and working smoke alarms play a vital role in reducing injuries and deaths from a house fire.  They said smoke alarms should be installed on every level of the home, in each bedroom and outside each sleeping area.

The fire department offers free alarms and batteries to anyone in need.  Call (417) 874-2300 to schedule an appointment for a free smoke alarm check or installation.

Michele Skalicky has worked at KSMU since the station occupied the old white house at National and Grand. She enjoys working on both the announcing side and in news and has been the recipient of statewide and national awards for news reporting. She likes to tell stories that make a difference. Michele enjoys outdoor activities, including hiking, camping and leisurely kayaking.