Toy Drive Honoring MO State Trooper Who Died in the Line of Duty is Underway
Missouri State Highway Patrol trooper, Jay Sampietro Jr. died in the line of duty in 2005. The 36-year-old married father of two young boys was struck and killed while directing traffic around a crash reconstruction scene on I-44 in Webster County.
To honor his memory, the Corporal John A. “Jay” Sampietro Jr. Toy Drive was started 12 years ago. Each year, the public is invited to donate toys at several drop off points in Springfield.
This year’s drive is underway and goes through December 19 when troopers will deliver the toys to children in CoxHealth’s Pediatric Unit.
Anyone who donates a new, unwrapped toy valued at $10 or more, will receive a free, dozen original glazed doughnuts from Krispy Kreme. Toy suggestions include coloring/activity books, board games, Hot Wheels, action figures, age appropriate DVD movies, small handheld electronic games, Legos, art supplies, blocks, or infant toys.
Drop off sites include:
- Cox South, West Tower Entrance, 3801 S. National
- Ferrell-Duncan Clinic, 1001 E. Primrose
- Meyer Orthopedic and Rehab Hospital, 3535 S. National
- MHC-Murphy-Hoffman Company, 3301 E. Kearney
- MSHP Troop D Headquarters, 3131 E. Kearney
- Krispy Kreme Doughnuts, 3860 S. Campbell