background_fid.png
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Available On Air Stations
We’re in our Fall Fundraiser and you can help! Support KSMU programming today!
Community Safety

Springfield Fire Department Offers Tips for Safe Cooking

Cooking fires are the number one cause of house fires, according to the Springfield Fire Department.  With Thanksgiving next week, a lot of people will be in the kitchen cooking.  That’s why the fire department held a demonstration this week showing what not to do when a cooking fire breaks out. 

During the demonstration, a pan of vegetable oil was placed on a lighted propane stove.  Within a minute or so, flames broke out.

When water was thrown onto the fire, the flames exploded—and spread.

That’s why Springfield Fire Marshal Ben Basham said you shouldn’t throw water on a cooking fire.

"It'll actually push the burning oil out of the pan and spread the fire onto the surfaces around it," said Basham.

The best way to put out a cooking fire, according to Basham, is to put a lid on top of the pan and turn off the stove.  To prevent a cooking fire, never leave a heated pan unattended.

If the fire gets out of control, Basham said, get everyone out of the house and call 911.