Play Live Radio
Next Up:
Available On Air Stations

Money is Now Available for Joplin Homeowners and Renters

The state of Missouri has money set aside for Joplin residents who were affected by the tornado this past May and need to repair or rebuild their homes. That money is coming from the Department of Economic Development as well as the Missouri Housing Development Commission. KSMU’s Rebekah Clark has more.

Residents can use the funds available from the state for a variety of different things. Megan Word is the spokesperson for the Missouri Housing Development Commission.

“We have our help targeted towards people who owned their own home prior to the tornado; we have assistance available for renters. Right now, we have money available for home repair, rebuilding homes.”  

Word says residents can use the funds for weatherization projects, hotel and motel vouchers, home assistance programs, and homelessness prevention. She also says that most of the programs do have income requirements. The State Resource and Recovery Center in Joplin handles applications for the funds.

“What we want people to know is, the staff down at the State Resource and Recovery Center, would be able to help them navigate that system. They would be able to say ‘what are your needs, what are you looking for,’ and they should be able to see what pots of money they are eligible for.”

The State Resource and Recovery Center is open Monday through Friday, from 8:00 a.m to 5:00 p.m., and is located at 705 Illinois, Suite 12.  The main phone number for the center is (417) 625-9100. Staff from MHDC and DED are there throughout the week to help assist those with questions.      

For KSMU News, I’m Rebekah Clark.