Sales Tax Holiday Underway
Missouri’s annual sales tax holiday has begun, and it runs through Sunday at midnight. According to the Missouri Department of Revenue, by state law, the sales tax holiday begins on the first Friday in August and continues through the following Sunday. Certain back-to-school purchases, such as clothing, school supplies, computers, and other items as defined by the statute, are exempt from sales tax for this time period only.
The City of Springfield and Greene County have opted out of participating, but shoppers there will still be exempt from paying state taxes on purchases.
The sales tax exemption is limited to:
- Clothing: any article having a taxable value of $100 or less
- School Supplies: not to exceed $50 per purchase
- Computer Software: taxable value of $350 or less
- Personal Computers: not to exceed $1500
- Computer Peripheral Devices: not to exceed $1500
- Graphing Calculators: not to exceed $150