background_fid.png
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Available On Air Stations

Diabetes Action Plan Developed by State of Missouri

http://ozarkspub.vo.llnwd.net/o37/KSMU/audio/mp3/diabetesac_1028.mp3

The Missouri DHSS announced this week that diabetes is now the 4th leading cause of death among Missourians age 55 to 64'up from #5 last year. Diabetes has increased 70% over the last decade in those between the ages of 30 and 39. And it's a serious disease'one that canlead to things like cardiovascular disease, stroke, blindness, end stage renal disease, nerve damage and lower limb amputations.

Pam Drake, diabetes educator with Cox Health Systems' Diabetes Center, says the disease is either a deficiency of insulin or a decreased ability of the body to use insulin'

Pam1 :10 "'for energy."

There are two types of diabetes'10% of those with the disease have type one, which used to be called juvenile diabetes. The other 90% have type two diabetes'

Pam2/2a/2b :35 "'appropriately." Obesity, a sedentary lifestyle and a family history of type 2 diabetes predispose individuals to develop the disease. Certain minority groups including Native Americans, African Americans and Latinos have higher rates of diabetes. Anyone with high blood pressure or high blood fats also are at risk of developing the disease.

Diabetes can be controlled thru diet and exercise. Drake says those who manage their disease often see a 60% decrease in complications.

Nearly 16 million Americans currently have what's called pre-diabetes'a condition in which blood sugar levels are too high. Drake says with lifestyle changes, 58% of those diagnosed with pre-diabetes canprevent the development of full-blown diabetes.

The Missouri department of health and senior services revealed a new action plan this week to address the increases in the number of diabetes deaths in those age 55 to 64. Jo Anderson is manager of the Missouri diabetes control program. She says the plan consists of 5 components'

jo1/1a :35

The plan also aims to improve preventive practices and testing associated with the management and control of diabetes, to provide at least one professional education program with continuing education credit annually thru each regional diabetes network partner and tosupport existing surveillance systems to identify gaps in collection and reporting of data related to diabetes.

Anderson says education is extremely important in preventing and increasing awareness about the disease'it's estimated that about a third of those with diabetes don't even know they have it. Warning signs include excessive thirst, frequent urination, sudden vision changes, sores that are slow to heal and numbness or tingling in the hands or feet.

Cox Health Systems will offer blood sugar, blood pressure and foot screenings as well as exhibits and lectures on diabetes at its annual diabetes fair Saturday (11/2) beginning at 9 am in Cox south's fosterauditorium. For more information call 269-info.

Cox Diabetes Fair will be held on November 2.